Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Two windows a portico and soffits

So much has been going on with the exterior remodel, just not enough time to post.  For starters, the non existent soffit on the front of the house has been extended.  At first we talked about building them out to twenty four inches but I changed my mind and went with eighteen, the back of the house will be the same. The side soffits hung out at about five inches, now they are twelve. 


The old shingles were removed after the roof extensions were framed...that way the shingles will all match.  Our roof was almost twenty years old so we were going to need a new one soon anyway.  And looky there...my little portico was starting to take shape.


A reminder of what the roofline looked like before.  Also, take note of that single window sitting all by himself.


I have been talking about adding another window to the front of the house for so long.  So when the day finally came we were ready.  Our house was built in the forties so we made sure to take precautions for lead paint.  If you have ever cut through plaster walls, you know what I'm talking about when I say it's going to be a huge dusty mess.


Now let me tell you about the mistake.  See the new windows in the picture above?  Well, right after it was installed something didn't feel quite right.  I couldn't put my finger on it but I wasn't as thrilled as I thought I would be.  When Mr. 65th got home he knew right away that we needed two separate windows instead of one unit. 


Remember this horrible picture of the living room windows?  Two separate windows.


Well now we have matching windows....two separate matching windows.  Much better. 

I have to say that being on the job and having to make quick decisions here and there without another opinion has been tough.  Especially when I had to be a big girl and tell our guy that he had to rip out the window he just put in.  Not fun.


I have a big crush on porticos and brackets, so you can only imagine how excited I am to share this picture.  If I was on pinterest...which I really need to be...you would be able to see all the portico and bracket inspiration I dug up.

Oh, and here is a sneak peek of the siding color.  Remember how crazy I was trying to pick a color?  Well I am happy to say...I love it. 

Until next time.

10 comments:

  1. Wow ... things really are happening there. The changes already have made a huge difference. I can't wait to see how it all turns out. And you know I love the portico!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Londen!!!! This is so exciting. The transformation is amazing already!! I am thrilled for you! I would never be able to make split second decisions. Left that part to the hubby when we built. Good job taking that on! I can't wait to see the next steps and I love the color!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very exciting to see this Londen!! I love the portico~I can already picture an amazing fall wreath on your door under that arched covering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Londen! This is all so exciting! I love the design of your portico - it's perfect for your house and I adore the scrolls! I have a fetish with them too....and a board on pinterest just on that subject matter :)
    http://pinterest.com/shineblog/porticos/

    I am sure making decisions is hard but you are doing an amazing job! xoLisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are doing a ton! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Londen. I am so happy that you fixed the windows when they didnt feel right to you!
    Great paint color choice!!!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Things look like they are coming together...and yes I so know what you mean about the dust! Our guys were struggling with repairing one of the dormers so they just ripped it out and started over. Put us behind a few days. These older houses are so darned unpredictable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've had the same roof for twenty years. That's a long time. It really held it's own. I can't wait to see the new roof.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing such great information.
    It has help me in finding out more detail about portico pillows online india

    ReplyDelete

 

Site design by FABULOUS K CREATIVE