Thursday, March 23, 2017

The kitchen banquette

This weekend we will be finishing our little kitchen by tiling the backsplash and adding trim to the top of the cabinets. Sometimes we jump around from project to project and finish things as we have the time and resources. Tile has been put on the back burner as other more important projects jumped in line, so I'm excited to see it finished. As we prepare for the big backsplash tile project of 2017 (this is our first time) I thought it would be fun to see what the other side of the kitchen looked like when we bought the house and before we built the banquette. 


The house came with a lot of wallpaper and the kitchen had a lovely scallop trim to go with it. 


Luckily we found original hardwood floors throughout most of the house except for the kitchen and family room which was an addition at some point. You can see a peek of the family room to the right of the kitchen.


We had a small window of time to work on the house before we moved in, school was starting and the new owners of our previous house wanted to move in. The goal was to get a lot of the messy stuff done, so we gutted the kitchen, and had hardwood floors installed in the kitchen and family room.


The old plaster walls needed a bit of work after the wallpaper was removed. 


The banquette came about seven months after we moved in, but I knew this was the perfect spot for one the first time I saw the house. We are an eat in kitchen kind of family, and a banquette would be the most practical and attractive option for our tiny kitchen. 


My husband built the bench seating, and included some much needed storage inside. One very important tip when building or having a banquette built is to be sure to have a nice deep overhang on the seat. It allows your legs to have room to naturally swing back like sitting in a chair verses sitting on a box. 


We used plywood ripped down at Home Depot and nickles for spacing to get a planked shiplap look.


One coat of primer and two coats of my favorite advance paint by Benjamin Moore finish it off. 



I couldn't have imagined how functional this space would end up being for our family. It's comfortable, cozy and we spend a lot of time here working, eating and doing homework. 


11 comments:

  1. WOW! this looks awesome! i love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this part of your home!! Love love the oversized light fixture and how you put everything together! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. And PS that wall paper, wow!! Bet you were glad to see that go...what a transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Jamie! Yes I'm happy to see all the old wallpaper go. Not fun to remove, so I'm surprising myself that I'm thinking about putting some in the dining room ๐Ÿ˜ณ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! Would you mind sharing the Benjamin Moore Wall color?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do this hack to drop 2lb of fat in 8 hours

    Well over 160k women and men are hacking their diet with a simple and secret "water hack" to lose 1-2 lbs each and every night while they sleep.

    It is scientific and works with everybody.

    This is how you can do it yourself:

    1) Grab a clear glass and fill it up with water half glass

    2) Proceed to use this proven HACK

    you'll be 1-2 lbs lighter the very next day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s in reality a nice and useful piece of info. I am glad that
    you shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up
    to date like this. Thanks for sharing.
    ๊ณ ์Šคํ†ฑ
    ์„ฏ๋‹ค

    ReplyDelete
  8. The subsequent time I learn a blog, I hope that it doesn't disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I do know it was my choice to read, however I actually thought you'd have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you possibly can repair if you happen to weren't too busy looking for attention.
    ํ† ํ† ์‚ฌ์ดํŠธ์›น
    ์Šคํฌ์ธ ํ† ํ† 

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very satisfied with visiting here. Thank you for good content. And please visit my website as well.
    Feel free to visit my web site ํ•œ๊ตญ์•ผ๋™
    ์„ฑ์ธ์›นํˆฐ

    ReplyDelete
  10. I carry on listening to the news broadcast lecture about getting boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the most excellent site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i acquire some?
    ๋จนํŠ€๊ฒ€์ฆ๋””๋น„
    ํ† ํ† ์‚ฌ์ดํŠธ

    ReplyDelete

 

Site design by FABULOUS K CREATIVE